Savor Arizona’s Fine Wines with Sedona Wine Tours and Tasting Rooms
While it might not seem that the Arizona desert is conducive to wine growing, the Verde Valley that encompasses Sedona provides a unique microclimate with conditions similar to those of famous wine regions around the world. With plenty of sunshine, cool nights, adequate rainfall, and rich volcanic soil, the Verde Valley produces high-quality wines that are now drawing national recognition. In fact, the region achieved the prestigious milestone of becoming a federally recognized American Viticultural Area (AVA) in 2021.
For wine lovers interested in exploring the delicious varietals of the Verde Valley, Sedona offers the perfect base. Here are some highlights to add to your itinerary:
Wineries and Tasting Rooms in Sedona
With its vibrant culinary scene, many Sedona restaurants feature locally produced wines on their menus. The city also includes a variety of wine bars and tasting rooms, such as:
- Vino Zona. Located just steps from El Portal Sedona Hotel in the enchanting Tlaquepaque Arts & Shopping Village, Vino Zona is a cozy tasting room that showcases small-batch, farm-to-table Arizona wines. The menu offers options for every palate—from dry reds and whites to succulent sweet wines—and the knowledgeable staff is happy to offer information about the wines and the region.
- The Art of Wine. This wonderful wine bar is a few minutes from El Portal, in the Shops at Piñon Pointe. Boasting over 40 different wines for tasting or by the glass, as well as over 350 bottles from Arizona and around the world, the Art of Wine also features a menu of small bites, craft beers, and sakes produced in Arizona.
- Winery 1912. In addition to the Verde Valley, Arizona is home to two other wine regions: Willcox and Sonoita, both of which are located in the southeastern part of the state. At Winery 1912 in the heart of bustling Uptown Sedona, visitors can explore Spanish and Iberian varietals grown at Dragoon Mountain Vineyard in Willcox. Along with an exciting selection of red and white wines, the tasting room offers small bites, as well as live music performed by local artists on Friday and Saturday evenings.
Sedona Wine Tours
The Verde Valley AVA features over 20 vineyards located throughout the greater Sedona area, including the towns of Cottonwood, Cornville, Clarkdale, and Jerome. For those seeking to visit the wineries and tasting rooms outside of Sedona, wine tours offer a great option that eliminates the need to worry about having a designated driver. A few popular tour providers include:
- Wine Tours of Sedona. This company provides private, customizable tours tailored to your individual tastes and preferences. All tours include complimentary pickup anywhere in Sedona, tasting fees, and more. They also offer a special discount when you bring your dog!
- Elevated Sedona Wine Tours. Offering a fun and relaxed VIP experience, Elevated Sedona Wine Tours will transport you from your pickup location in Sedona to the region’s top-rated wineries and/or breweries. There are several customizable tour options available depending on your schedule and interests.
- Sedona Adventures. Do you love wine AND outdoor exploration? From e-biking to traversing the Verde River on a kayak or stand-up paddle board, Sedona Adventures offers unique and exciting ways to visit the wineries of the Verde Valley!
To start planning the wineries you’d like to visit, check out the downloadable map of the Verde Valley Wine Trail!
At El Portal, we are pleased to provide a tranquil retreat for guests (and their pets!) to return to after a day of wine tasting and exploring everything else that the beautiful Verde Valley has to offer. Through our personalized concierge services, we can help you arrange tours and create an itinerary tailored to your interests and preferences. Call us at 800-313-0017 to book your stay!